Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Women's History Month

Inspired by Women's History Month and Ada Lovelace Day, I'd like to say thank you.

I'd like to thank all of the women in science who have struggling and sacrificed and succeeded, both in carving out careers for themselves where women weren't welcome even a few decades ago and in making it easier for women like me to follow in their footsteps. But even more importantly, I'd like to thank those women that, having achieved something, did not simply shrug their shoulders and say, "I did it, you can too it, too." Instead, these women play an active role in changing the climate of science education and the scientific community so that women won't always have to work harder (often with less pay) to be treated equally. They say, "I did it, but that doesn't mean things are perfect. Here is what has to change and here is how we can start to change it."

Because of my attempt at anonymity I can't thank anyone specific, but I think they know who they are.

No comments: